Log in

No account? Create an account

an hour ride

Went for an hour ride today.  It was something in the 80's and loooowwwww humidity, and a nice breeze.  We went down Anderson Rd.

I worked her over some poles and did some sidepassing and backing before we left, to start the barn sour treatment.  We got all the way to almost the cattle gate when suddenly Missy realized we were GONE and started whinnying.  We were upwind, so *I* couldn't hear it, but Cricket suddenly turned her head back and answered.  I looked back, and Missy was trotting to the fence.

So I turned her back to Anderson's mailbox, and made her go around it, head to the mailbox, and swinging her back end around.  Then we sidepassed, then we started off again.  I rested her just past the gate.

A little farther, then she started up again, so back we went to the mailbox.  Same thing, but this time I added figure 8 trotting circles.  And trotting down the road.  We got past the gate, to a good spot, then I rested her.  ALmost 5 mins.  When we started up again, she gave a half look behind her and then went on.  LOL.

I cantered her a little, but she was freakin' out about some round bales, so she was all crooked and probably cross-cantering.  So I stopped her, and we walked all the way to the end barn.  I saw two horses running in the pasture with the cows, (and so did she) so I trotted her to the pasture gate.  Two chestnuts came up, she wanted to sniff 'em, and the big blaze one came over to sniff.  She put her ears back a few times, then squealed and struck her right foot.  He never flinched. Then I turned her away and we left.

We went out in the field a bit, and I zig-zagged around some scary areas, and then back on the road.  We walked the rest of the way home, Missy met us at the fence.  The other pasture gate was open so we went thru and I took her into the 'arena.'

I wanted to canter her again.  I took her on the left lead, she fought me at first, but then she was good.  I felt the saddle sliding around, so I got off, tightened it, got back on (she moved over to the fence very nicely!!) and then we cantered on the right lead.  Well, I think she was still on the left, but we went around a few times, and she was pretty good.  Not totally relaxed, but she wasn't fighting me.  So I stopped her near the road, and got off there, and walked her back to the pasture.

I was thinking while we were out about sending her to Cece, wondering if she trains under saddle, and if not, if training to drive would help her under saddle.  Then she was good in the 'arena' so I think just working more with her will help...  I don't know anymore  :P

But she was a sweetie pie, and affectionate and just pretty good all around today.  Just a few "words between us" when she wanted to go back, and that was all.  I wish I had more time to ride!!


I love this picture of her !!                             

And this is a good shot of Missy          headshot 10-5-14        


                                                    The two are inseparable these days!!


oh yeah, yesterday my fish was gone :(  My big beautiful mermaid tail female goldfish!  Dave says she hiding, like she did in the winter, but I know she's gone.  She was still gone today.  waaah!   I will miss you!

she was just gettin' to come to my fingers, too.

5 days in a row

Well, Crick-ette, we did it.  5 days in a row!  You survived.  Wed night at feeding time she was sleepin' and she looked a little tired, and yesterday she wasn't sure she wanted to come in, but I guess she figured apples and hay were worth it.  Although she did glare at me the whole way in from the pasture!!

So yesterday I cleaned and oiled my Simco saddle, and the squeakin' was MUCH better today!!  Still a little, but not a deafening roar!  She did really well, just a few protests, but overall very nice.  And when I took the saddle off, YAY!!  Sweat in all the right places!!!  WHEW!!!

So I oiled it some more and shined up the silver, oiled my bridle, cleaned and oiled my boots just for good measure, and brought the saddle and bridle home for safekeeping.  She will have "off" tomorrow.  Hopefully Dave will take some pictures of me on her for me, on Sunday.



Worked her 3 days in a row.  I used my Simco saddle today.  Aside from the squeaking (it sounded like an army of footsoldiers marching in the snow) I think it worked well.  The seat didn't seem so small today HAHA.

Mrs Clements stopped to tell me how awful and embarrassed she felt about James saying I needed to pay some money.  Told me to forget about the incident and don't worry about paying anything any more until I can afford it.

She also said "you sure are faithful to that horse.  I like that."  Aww - that's cuz I LOVE her, Laurel!!

She started out bitchy, lazy and trying to scrape me off a little, but after 10 mins of jogging I think she got the idea that we weren't gonna stop any time soon!  I did stop, let her rest about 3 mins, then off again.  I think prob only 3-5 mins, not sure.  But she was starting to settle down.  She still remembers stick to the fence!  I think the next time will be awesome!

I plan to ride again tomorrow and friday, then give her Saturday off, then go for a trail ride on Sunday.  I'm gonna clean clean clean that Simco and then drown it in Neatsfoot Oil for a week!!  Hopefully that will soften in up and I can use it and not have to buy a new saddle.  Although I did find 2 that I really really like... just not sure the one I like more has stirrups that will shorten enough for me  :P



They look and feel great!  And I love this picture 😊


New bit and stuff

I got the bit last Saturday.  I had worked her on the lunge line a few times last week, and then I did again with the new bit.  Yesterday I rode her bareback (well, walked) with it, and today, I started her lessons.

I lunged her a bit with the rein, to the left only, then got on her.  I went once around to the left, then switched to the right.  I worked her completely to the right today - as in, I wanted her to bend to the left.

Only once did she start to act up - shake her head when I asked to jog - but she stopped in mid shake as if she thought it might not be a good idea.  Only once did I have to haul on her mouth.  She was really very good.

When I asked for the jog, she was a tad fast, and I *had* to post, but then she evened it out and kept it at a steady speed, even on a pretty loose rein.  I made her go around 3x, then 5x, and mixed it up with a few end circles.  She never tried to stop on her own.  And every time I asked for a "whoa" she stopped, both walking and jogging.

I used my leg to "bend" her around the corners, and I think she's getting the hint.

Afterwards we went for a short walk over the left hand bridge and back.  She comes back peanut rolling!!  What a drama queen!!  LOL  But she's getting it also to flex vertically...  she looks so pretty :)

I let her eat grass in the round pen for 15 mins as her reward.  I didn't hose her off.  It was about 84 degrees, and the humidity was significantly lower this morning, that's why I decided to work her.  She got a little hot, but never really broke out in a sweat.

I was gonna work her again in the morning, but I forgot I have to pick up Zachary.  If I have time, I will lunge her, but if not, I will try tomorrow evening.



Cooling off a hot horse article

Many owners and trainers have never been taught how to properly cool a hot exercising horse. How hard can it be? Just hose it down with water, right?

Actually, it is very important to understand how to safely and quickly cool down a hot, sweating horse. The 1994 FEI Samsung Equine Sports Medicine Conference was held in Atlanta to address problems that were anticipated because of the intense heat and humidity that was likely to occur during the 1996 Olympic Games. Research from the initiative showed that simply hosing off a horse did little good, did not significantly drop the horse's temperature and might have been detrimental.

Researchers showed that cool to cold water poured or sprayed over a horse's skin wets the horse, and the very thin layer of water actually contacting the horse's skin is super heated quickly to the horse's body temperature. The rest of the water being sponged or dumped or sprayed on the horse merely sheets over that initial one- to two-cell water layer on the horse. The initial water actually acts like a raincoat and does not allow other water molecules to contact and cool the skin, so the horse can in fact become hotter even while being cooled off.

Therefore, clients should be shown that the best method for cooling a horse is to spray or sponge on water with one hand and to almost immediately scrape off the now super heated water with a sweat scraper in your other hand. Spray, scrape, repeat is the cooling method of choice. This means of cooling can significantly drop a horse's core temperature and requires less actual water.

The water can be fairly cold with this method of cooling because it does not stay on the horse's body long enough to cause muscle cramping, which had been a previous concern when cooling horses with the application of cold water.

Increasing airflow also can help with cooling, so fans and a choice of location with a breeze can help cool an exercising horse, but researchers have shown that water is still 20 times more efficient at cooling horses.

TIme. Again. Off and for training.

OK, clinicals are over, school starts Aug 26.  I ordered a bit last night.  A reinsman western D ring snaffle, with a 3/8" twisted wire.  It was $40.  JEESH. The Ds are 3".  But I ordered a 5".  Screw it.  Sandy said her bit was a 5", I took a piece of tubing and marked it off and measured her, and her mouth looks 5" on that...  I need the tiny twist to get her to behave.  I know she liked it, and I would like to keep her in it, so I wanted a western looking one.  I have no idea if the pinchless feature will counteract what I'm trying to accomplish, though.

western snaffle

&$@#*, I just looked at my account and it says this item was oversold... ???  Dammit, does that mean MY ORDER?  argh...

ANYWAY, when I get it I will start on her right away.  I just went back to July 2011 to see what I did last time, and I'm going to do it again.  Start with the lunging.  I was hoping to have the bit... well, we can still work on stuff.

She is really gonna be mad lol


Tack Room Lattice

FINALLY.  I got the rest of the lattice board and Dave put it up for me!  This picture shows the twine, I have since replaced all the twine with black cable ties.  I trashed the FMI plywood that was blocking the wind and rain, (and what I used to teach Cricket to walk over for bridges), and the tack room has just opened up so much!  We haven't had a soaking rain yet, but I hope it will still keep out most of the rain.  Maybe the floor won't get so muddy, either, with the panel on the gate.  Everything goes about 1" from the ground so the dogs will stop coming in and eating my catfood and carrying the food bowls out to the pasture :P   Stupid dogs!!  The cats can still squeeze thru the diamonds, and also thru the panel fence between the stall and the room, plus where ever they were squeezing before around the posts.


Cricket has perfected her gate opening skills, and can flip that sucker open any time its not locked!!  AND she is learning how to take the lid off the feed can.  JEESH.

I rearranged everything inside the tack room, and now I can maneuver around without climbing over stuff, and I moved my saddle pad, and hopefully it won't get wet now.  Slowly but surely I think I'm making everything look nicer.  ??  As nice as I can without tearing down the complete shed and putting up my own barn!!!  Maybe Albert will let me do that next year, if he doesn't sell me the property, maybe he'll "rent" it to me and I can do what I want on it?

I rode Cricket last sunday for a nice walk, and she was good except for feeling like a spring over the bridge.  I hope to ride again today, if it doesn't rain.  Have to finish studying first.


She is SEVEN now!  WOW.  It's pretty cool knowing I got her at less than 2  :)  I wish I could get a picture of us together, from far enough away to see how tall she is compared to when I got her, but someone has to come out with me and take it!!  I didn't give her any presents or treats, other than some extra peppermint sticks in her dinner ;)  She was VERY grouchy and pushy today! LOL!  And the wind was 20+ mph... so she was jumping around and trotting and showing off how beautiful she is :)

I was surprised I got her standing still AND with her ear(s) up!

3-24-2013 bday pica little "nose-heavy" but oh well!


cricket and diane

Latest Month

November 2020


RSS Atom


  • 25 Mar 2011, 11:09
    Happy Birthday!
  • 26 Oct 2009, 13:52
    I found the entry where I started teaching her picking me up off the fence. It was July 9th, under the subject of "Pain" It wasn't as long ago as I thought, but still long enough ago to be awesome…
  • 25 Jun 2009, 16:41
    I've found that when a horse fight the bit I can do two things. Fist, the drop the head exercise. Place pressure with thumb and forefinger at the poll and when she drops her head release. Do this…
  • 25 Jun 2009, 16:33
    Nice analysis! Good work.
  • 25 Jun 2009, 04:15
    Thanks John!! Yes, my stirrups are too long. I told everyone in my email that so I wouldn't get trashed haha. They are on the last holes, and the straps are nylon, so I have to find something that…
Powered by LiveJournal.com